Our book giveway for October 2011 is Beneath the Lion’s Gaze, by Ethiopian-born author Maaza Mengiste. Published in January 2010, Mengiste’s debut novel is an epic tale of a father and two sons, of betrayals and loyalties, of a family unraveling in the wake of Ethiopia’s revolution.
This memorable heartbreaking story opens in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 1974, on the eve of a revolution. Yonas kneels in his mother’s prayer room, pleading to his god for an end to the violence that has wracked his family and country. His father, Hailu, a prominent doctor, has been ordered to report to jail after helping a victim of state-sanctioned torture to die. And Dawit, Hailu’s youngest son, has joined an underground resistance movement—a choice that will lead to more upheaval and bloodshed across a ravaged Ethiopia.
Don’t miss our upcoming interview with Maaza Mengiste, which will be posted on November 1, 2011.
How to Enter
Win one of five copies of Beneath the Lion’s Gaze by entering our October giveaway competition. If you are not a registered Africa Book Club subscriber, you will need to join first. Then, simply go ahead and answer the five questions below to enter.
- Can you name at least three African authors that have received the Nobel Prize for Literature?
- What was the Africa Book Club “book of the month” for September 2011?
- Who wrote the book, “The Other Crucifix”?
- In what year was the Commonwealth Writers Prize established, and who was the first African writer to win this award?
- Which two African authors were recently shortlisted for the 2011 Dayton Literary Peace Prize in the fiction category?
Please email your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: October Book Giveaway
Tip: Answers to the five questions can be found by browsing the Africa Book Club site.
Remember the Rules:
- This competition is open to all registered subscribers/members of the Africa Book Club anywhere in the world. Non-members can subscribe here to enter the competition.
- This giveaway competition expires Monday, October 31, 2011 at midnight (EST).
- Winners will be drawn on November 1, 2011 from all correct entries received before the closing date.
- Winners will be asked to provide a valid shipping address or an email address for those that prefer to receive the ebook edition.
- Africa Book Club will make a good-faith effort to ship books to anywhere in the world at standard international postal rates. Delivery times vary and may take up to five weeks for certain international destinations.
- Only one entry will be accepted per person registered as a subscriber/member of the Africa Book Club.
- Winners will be notified by email using the address through which they entered the competition.
- Only the winning entrants will be contacted by Africa Book Club. Our decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner’s name may be published on the Book Club site after the closing of the competition.
Editor: This competition is now closed.