Readers will love our choice for this month’s book giveaway competition. Originally published in South Africa by Jacana Media in 2010 (and internationally in 2011 by Angry Robot), Zoo City (by Lauren Beukes) won the 2011 Arthur C. Clarke award for the best science-fiction novel in the U.K.
The main character, Zinzi has a talent for finding lost things. Being hired by famously reclusive music producer Odi Huron to find a teenybop pop star should be her ticket out of Zoo City, the festering slum of the criminal underclass. But when her latest client turns up dead and the cops confiscate her last paycheck, Zinzi is forced to take on her least favorite kind of job.
Set in a re-imagined Johannesburg, the author mixes refugees, crime, the music industry, African magic and the nature of sin together.
About Lauren Beukes
Beukes, who lives in Cape Town, South Africa, describes herself as a “recovering journalist, TV scriptwriter, award-winning columnist and writer (aka glorified typist)”. She is the author of two other books – Moxyland (2008) and Maverick: Extraordinary Women From South Africa’s Past, a rollicking collection of biographies of real-life renegades and raconteurs (2006). The latter book was nominated for the 2006 Alan Paton non-fiction award – South Africa’s leading book award. She has also written numerous short stories and contributed to various publications. Her latest book was published earlier this year.
Enter the September 2013 book giveaway competition to win a copy of Zoo City, the award winning Sci-Fi thriller from South African author, Lauren Beukes.
How to Enter the Competition
Simply follow the instructions below. If you are not a registered Africa Book Club subscriber, you will need sign up first. Then go ahead and answer the question below to enter.
- What is the title of Lauren Beuke’s latest book, published earlier this year?
Please email your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: September 2013 Book Giveaway
Tip: Answers to the questions can be found by browsing the Africa Book Club site.
Remember the Rules:
- This competition is open to all registered subscribers and members of the Africa Book Club anywhere in the world. Non-subscribers can subscribe here to enter the competition. To sign up for a membership, click here.
- This giveaway competition expires Monday, September 30, 2013 at midnight (EST).
- The winner will be drawn on (or shortly after) October 1, 2013 from all correct entries received before the closing date.
- The winner will be asked to provide a valid shipping address or an email address in case he or she prefers to receive the ebook edition.
- Africa Book Club will make a good-faith effort to ship books to anywhere in the world at standard international postal rates. Delivery times vary and may take up to five weeks for certain international destinations.
- Only one entry will be accepted per person registered as a subscriber/member of the Africa Book Club.
- The winner will be notified by email using the address through which he or she entered the competition.
- Only the winning entrant will be contacted by Africa Book Club. Our decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner’s name may be published on the Book Club site after the closing of the competition.
How We Select Our Winners
All entries are assigned a unique number, ranging from 1 to the highest number. Winners are then randomly selected using the sequence generator tool. For more about this tool, visit www.random.org.