This competition has closed. This month, we are giving away a copy of Dinaw Mengestu’s new book, All Our Names. An acclaimed author, Mengestu received the National Book Foundation’s 5 Under 35 award, The New Yorker’s 20 Under 40 award, and a 2012 MacArthur Foundation genius grant.
His book, All Our Names, is an unforgettable love story about a searing affair between an American woman and an African man in 1970s America and an unflinching novel about the fragmentation of lives that straddle countries and histories. It tells the story of two young men who come of age during an African revolution, drawn from the safe confines of the university campus into the intensifying clamor of the streets outside. But as the line between idealism and violence becomes increasingly blurred, the friends are driven apart—one into the deepest peril, as the movement gathers inexorable force, and the other into the safety of exile in the American Midwest. There, pretending to be an exchange student, he falls in love with a social worker and settles into small-town life. Yet this idyll is inescapably darkened by the secrets of his past: the acts he committed and the work he left unfinished. Most of all, he is haunted by the beloved friend he left behind, the charismatic leader who first guided him to revolution and then sacrificed everything to ensure his freedom.
Enter this month’s book giveaway competition to win a copy of All Our Names (by Dinaw Mengestu).
How to Enter the Competition
Simply follow the instructions below. If you are not a registered Africa Book Club subscriber, you will need sign up first. Then go ahead and answer the question below to enter.
- Who won the March 2014 Africa Book Club Books Short Reads Competition?
Please email your answers to: email@example.com with the subject: May 2014 Book Giveaway
Tip: Answers to the questions can be found by browsing the Africa Book Club site.
Remember the Rules:
- This competition is open to all registered subscribers and members of the Africa Book Club anywhere in the world. Non-subscribers can subscribe here to enter the competition. To sign up for a membership, click here.
- This giveaway competition expires Saturday, May 31, 2014 at midnight (EST).
- The winner will be drawn on (or shortly after) June 1, 2014 from all correct entries received before the closing date.
- The winner will be asked to provide a valid shipping address or an email address in case he or she prefers to receive the ebook edition.
- Africa Book Club will make a good-faith effort to ship books to anywhere in the world at standard international postal rates. Delivery times vary and may take up to five weeks for certain international destinations.
- Only one entry will be accepted per person registered as a subscriber/member of the Africa Book Club.
- The winner will be notified by email using the address through which he or she entered the competition.
- Only the winning entrant will be contacted by Africa Book Club. Our decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner’s name may be published on the Book Club site after the closing of the competition.
How We Select Our Winners
All entries are assigned a unique number, ranging from 1 to the highest number. Winners are then randomly selected using the sequence generator tool. For more about this tool, visit www.random.org.