This competition is now closed — Our selection for the month of March is There Was A Country: A Personal History of Biafra, the recent book released by legendary Nigerian author, Chinua Achebe. Published by the Penguin Press, this long-awaited memoir revisits the Nigeria civil war, also known as the Biafran War, of 1967-1970. The conflict pitted the Nigerian federal government against the breakaway state of Biafra.
A marriage of history and memoir, vivid firsthand observation and decades of further research and reflection, There Was a Country is a work whose wisdom and compassion remind us of Chinua Achebe’s place as one of the great literary and moral voices of our age.
Enter this month’s competition for a chance to win a copy of Chinua Achebe’s latest book.
Praise for There Was a Country
“Chinua Achebe’s history of Biafra is a meditation on the condition of freedom. It has the tense narrative grip of the best fiction. It is also a revelatory entry into the intimate character of the writer’s brilliant mind and bold spirit. Achebe has created here a new genre of literature in which politico-historical evidence, the power of storytelling, and revelations from the depths of the human subconscious are one. The event of a new work by Chinua Achebe is always extraordinary; this one exceeds all expectation.”
How to Enter (This competition is now closed)
Enter our March 2013 giveaway competition for a chance to win your copy of Chinua Achebe’s There Was A Country: A Personal History of Biafra. Simply follow the instructions below. If you are not a registered Africa Book Club subscriber, you will need to join first. Then, simply go ahead and answer the question below to enter.
- In what year was Chinua Achebe born?
- Which author won the 2007 Man Booker International Prize?
Please email your answers to: email@example.com with the subject: March 2013 Book Giveaway
Tip: Answers to the questions can be found by browsing the Africa Book Club site.
Remember the Rules:
- This competition is open to all registered subscribers/members of the Africa Book Club anywhere in the world. Non-members can subscribe here to enter the competition.
- This giveaway competition expires Sunday, March 31, 2013 at midnight (EST).
- The winner will be drawn on (or shortly after) April 1, 2013 from all correct entries received before the closing date.
- The winner will be asked to provide a valid shipping address or an email address in case he or she prefers to receive the ebook edition.
- Africa Book Club will make a good-faith effort to ship books to anywhere in the world at standard international postal rates. Delivery times vary and may take up to five weeks for certain international destinations.
- Only one entry will be accepted per person registered as a subscriber/member of the Africa Book Club.
- The winner will be notified by email using the address through which he or she entered the competition.
- Only the winning entrant will be contacted by Africa Book Club. Our decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner’s name may be published on the Book Club site after the closing of the competition.
How We Select Our Winners
All entries are assigned a unique number, ranging from 1 to the highest number. Winners are then randomly selected using the sequence generator tool. For more about this tool, visit www.random.org.