THIS COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED–Our choice for June is Patchwork, an award-winning novel by Zambian author, Ellen Banda-Aaku. Published by Penguin, the book won the 2010 Penguin Prize for African Writing (fiction) when it first came out in 2010.
Pumpkin, the young girl at the center of the story is destined from birth to inhabit two very different worlds – that of her father, the wealthy Joseph Sakavungo, and that of her mother, his mistress. This emotive tale takes us to the heart of a young girl’s attempts to come to terms with her own identity and fashion a future for herself from the patchwork of the life she was born into. Beautifully constructed, warm and wise, this is a novel that will transport the reader to a world in which we can all become more of the sum of our parts.
Weaving together the stories of three generations of women, this novel is a patchwork of love, jealousy and human frailty set against a backdrop of war and political ambition. It is a remarkable journey that takes us deep into the heart of a family both fractured and bound together by their love for one man.
How to Enter the Competition — This Competition is Now Closed
Enter our June 2013 giveaway competition for a chance to win your copy of Patchwork (by Ellen Banda-Aaku). Simply follow the instructions below. If you are not a registered Africa Book Club subscriber, you will need to join first. Then go ahead and answer the question below to enter.
- Who won the 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize for the Africa Region?
Please email your answers to: email@example.com with the subject: June 2013 Book Giveaway
Tip: Answers to the questions can be found by browsing the Africa Book Club site.
Remember the Rules:
- This competition is open to all registered subscribers/members of the Africa Book Club anywhere in the world. Non-members can subscribe here to enter the competition.
- This giveaway competition expires Sunday, June 30, 2013 at midnight (EST).
- The winner will be drawn on (or shortly after) July 1, 2013 from all correct entries received before the closing date.
- The winner will be asked to provide a valid shipping address or an email address in case he or she prefers to receive the ebook edition.
- Africa Book Club will make a good-faith effort to ship books to anywhere in the world at standard international postal rates. Delivery times vary and may take up to five weeks for certain international destinations.
- Only one entry will be accepted per person registered as a subscriber/member of the Africa Book Club.
- The winner will be notified by email using the address through which he or she entered the competition.
- Only the winning entrant will be contacted by Africa Book Club. Our decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner’s name may be published on the Book Club site after the closing of the competition.
How We Select Our Winners
All entries are assigned a unique number, ranging from 1 to the highest number. Winners are then randomly selected using the sequence generator tool. For more about this tool, visit www.random.org.