This competition has closed. Our monthly book giveaway competition is back! To kick off the year, we are giving away a copy of Aman: The Story of a Somali Girl. Published by Vintage Books in 1994, the book is the extraordinary first-person account of a young woman’s coming of age in Somalia and her struggles against the obligations and strictures of family and society.
Ardent, irrepressible, skeptical, and devout, the narrator is both an authentic African heroine and a guide to a country that most of us only know through harrowing television news footage. Aman was born in the arid Somalian bush as her mother and grandmother were leading their herds to water. At the age of nine, she underwent a ritual clitoridectomy. At eleven, she saw her innocent romance with a white boy end in murder. By the time she was thirteen, Aman had been given away in an arranged marriage and had run away to Mogadishu, a city whose temptations and dangers were matched by her vitality and courage.
Acclaim for Aman
“A direct, heartfelt autobiography…. This revelatory first-person narrative puts a human face on the country we have come to know largely through the bewildering photo ops on the evening news.” – Elle
“A riveting story of survival.” – Publishers Weekly
“A lively and rare oral autobiography from Africa (that) deepens our understanding of a distant culture.” – Toronto Globe and Mail
Enter this month’s book giveaway competition to win a copy of Aman: The Story of a Somali Girl.
How to Enter the Competition
Simply follow the instructions below. If you are not a registered Africa Book Club subscriber, you will need sign up first. Then go ahead and answer the question below to enter.
- Name at least one book among the 2014 Africa Book Club Books of the Year?
Please email your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: January 2015 Book Giveaway
Tip: Answers to the questions can be found by browsing the Africa Book Club site.
Remember the Rules:
- This competition is open to all registered subscribers and members of the Africa Book Club anywhere in the world. Non-subscribers can subscribe here to enter the competition. To sign up for a membership, click here.
- This giveaway competition expires Saturday, January 31, 2015 at midnight (EST).
- The winner will be drawn on (or shortly after) February 1, 2015 from all correct entries received before the closing date.
- The winner will be asked to provide a valid shipping address or an email address in case he or she prefers to receive the ebook edition.
- Africa Book Club will make a good-faith effort to ship books to anywhere in the world at standard international postal rates. Delivery times vary and may take up to five weeks for certain international destinations.
- Only one entry will be accepted per person registered as a subscriber/member of the Africa Book Club.
- The winner will be notified by email using the address through which he or she entered the competition.
- Only the winning entrant will be contacted by Africa Book Club. Our decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner’s name may be published on the Book Club site after the closing of the competition.
How We Select Our Winners
All entries are assigned a unique number, ranging from 1 to the highest number. Winners are then randomly selected using the sequence generator tool. For more about this tool, visit www.random.org.