To kick off the year, we are giving away a copy of A Good African Story: How a Small Company Built a Global Coffee Brand. Written by Andrew Rugasira, this is the inspirational story of how an African-owned coffee company became a profitable global brand. Rugasira offers an argument for trade as opposed to aid, and a lesson in how Africa can dictate the terms of its future Since it was founded in 2003, Good African Coffee has helped thousands of farmers earn a decent living, send their children to school, and escape a spiral of debt and dependence. Africa has received more than $1 trillion in aid over the last 50 years and yet despite these huge inflows, the continent remains mired in poverty, disease, and systemic corruption. Here, Andrew Rugasira argues that trade has achieved what years of aid failed to deliver, and has provided a tantalizing glimpse of what Africa could be. As he recounts the very personal story of his company and the challenges that he has faced and overcome as an African entrepreneur—from the impossibility of finding capital to discrimination at every step to close calls with lions in the foothills of the Rwenzori mountains—Rugasira discusses the barriers that currently prevent fair and equal trade between Africa and the rest of the world.
Enter this month’s book giveaway competition to win a copy of A Good African Story A Good African Story: How a Small Company Built a Global Coffee Brand (by Andrew Rugasira).
How to Enter the Competition
Simply follow the instructions below. If you are not a registered Africa Book Club subscriber, you will need sign up first. Then go ahead and answer the question below to enter.
- Name at least one book that made the 2013 Africa Book Club Books of the Year?
Please email your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: January 2014 Book Giveaway
Tip: Answers to the questions can be found by browsing the Africa Book Club site.
Remember the Rules:
- This competition is open to all registered subscribers and members of the Africa Book Club anywhere in the world. Non-subscribers can subscribe here to enter the competition. To sign up for a membership, click here.
- This giveaway competition expires Friday, January 31, 2014 at midnight (EST).
- The winner will be drawn on (or shortly after) February 1, 2014 from all correct entries received before the closing date.
- The winner will be asked to provide a valid shipping address or an email address in case he or she prefers to receive the ebook edition.
- Africa Book Club will make a good-faith effort to ship books to anywhere in the world at standard international postal rates. Delivery times vary and may take up to five weeks for certain international destinations.
- Only one entry will be accepted per person registered as a subscriber/member of the Africa Book Club.
- The winner will be notified by email using the address through which he or she entered the competition.
- Only the winning entrant will be contacted by Africa Book Club. Our decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner’s name may be published on the Book Club site after the closing of the competition.
How We Select Our Winners
All entries are assigned a unique number, ranging from 1 to the highest number. Winners are then randomly selected using the sequence generator tool. For more about this tool, visit www.random.org.