This competition is closed –To kick off 2013, we are giving away a copy of one of our all-time favorites, Camara Laye’s The Dark Child (also titled The African Child in other editions). In this memoir, which is widely regarded as a classic of African literature, Laye writes about his youth and growing up in the village of Koroussa, French Guinea. He marvels over his mother’s supernatural powers, his father’s distinction as the village goldsmith, and his own passage into manhood. Eventually, the young Laye must choose between this unique place and the academic success that lure him to distant cities. More than the autobiography of one boy, this is the universal story of sacred traditions struggling against the encroachment of a modern world.
More than fifty years after it was first published, The Dark Child is still recognized as one of the best novels to come out of French-speaking Africa. The book won the Prix Charles Veillon writing prize.
How to Enter (This competition is now closed)
Enter our January competition for a chance to win a copy of Camara Laye’s book, The Dark Child. Follow the instructions below. If you are not a registered Africa Book Club subscriber, you will need to join first. Then, simply go ahead and answer the question below to enter.
- In what year was Camara Laye’s book – The Dark Child first published?
Please email your answers to: email@example.com with the subject: January 2013 Book Giveaway
Tip: Answers to the questions can be found by browsing the Africa Book Club site.
Remember the Rules:
- This competition is open to all registered subscribers/members of the Africa Book Club anywhere in the world. Non-members can subscribe here to enter the competition.
- This giveaway competition expires Thursday, January 31, 2013 at midnight (EST).
- The winner will be drawn on February 1, 2013 from all correct entries received before the closing date.
- The winner will be asked to provide a valid shipping address or an email address in case he or she prefers to receive the ebook edition (where available).
- Africa Book Club will make a good-faith effort to ship books to anywhere in the world at standard international postal rates. Delivery times vary and may take up to five weeks for certain international destinations.
- Only one entry will be accepted per person registered as a subscriber/member of the Africa Book Club.
- The winner will be notified by email using the address through which he or she entered the competition.
- Only the winning entrant will be contacted by Africa Book Club. Our decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner’s name may be published on the Book Club site after the closing of the competition.
How We Select Our Winners
All entries are assigned a unique number, ranging from 1 to the highest number. Winners are then randomly selected using the sequence generator tool. For more about this tool, visit www.random.org.