This competition is now closed – We are excited about our December book giveaway, which features the latest book from world-renowned Kenyan novelist, poet, playwright, and literary critic Ngugi wa Thiong’o. Enter this month’s competition for a chance to win a copy of Ngugi’s new book, In the House of Interpreter. Released last month by Pantheon Books, this is the second volume of Ngugi’s memoirs in the wake of his critically acclaimed Dreams in a Time of War.
In the House of the Interpreter richly and poignantly evokes the author’s life and times at boarding school–the first secondary educational institution in British-ruled Kenya–in the 1950s, against the backdrop of the tumultuous Mau Mau Uprising for independence and Kenyan sovereignty. It hauntingly describes the formative experiences of a young man who would become a world-class writer and, as a political dissident, a moral compass to us all.
What the Critics Are Saying…
“It’s a work of understated and heartfelt prose that relates one man’s intimate view of the epic cultural and political shifts that created modern Africa. . . . Ngugi wa Thiong’o’s Kenya endures. And it comes alive in the pages of his brilliant and essential memoir.” –LA Times
“An inspiring story of a young man determined to excel and escape.” —Kirkus Reviews
“Alternately youthfully innocent and politically savvy, this is a first-rate telling of that African revolutionary elite who determined the future of their continent.” —Publishers Weekly
How to Enter (This competition is now closed )
Enter our December competition for a chance to win a copy of Ngugi wa Thiong’o’s latest book, In the House of the Interpreter. Simply follow the instructions below. If you are not a registered Africa Book Club subscriber, you will need to join first. Then, simply go ahead and answer the question below to enter.
- List the titles of three books written by Ngugi wa Thiong’o, other than In the House of the Interpreter.
Please email your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: December 2012 Book Giveaway
Tip: Answers to the questions can be found by browsing the Africa Book Club site.
Remember the Rules:
- This competition is open to all registered subscribers/members of the Africa Book Club anywhere in the world. Non-members can subscribe here to enter the competition.
- This giveaway competition expires Monday, December 31, 2012 at midnight (EST).
- The winner will be drawn on January 1, 2013 from all correct entries received before the closing date.
- The winner will be asked to provide a valid shipping address or an email address in case he or she prefers to receive the ebook edition.
- Africa Book Club will make a good-faith effort to ship books to anywhere in the world at standard international postal rates. Delivery times vary and may take up to five weeks for certain international destinations.
- Only one entry will be accepted per person registered as a subscriber/member of the Africa Book Club.
- The winner will be notified by email using the address through which he or she entered the competition.
- Only the winning entrant will be contacted by Africa Book Club. Our decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner’s name may be published on the Book Club site after the closing of the competition.
How We Select Our Winners
All entries are assigned a unique number, ranging from 1 to the highest number. Winners are then randomly selected using the sequence generator tool. For more about this tool, visit www.random.org.