Below is a listing of African writers that have won prestigious literary awards in recent years.
1. Nobel Prize for Literature
Africa has had three recipients of the Nobel Literature Prize.
- Wole Soyinka (1986)
- Nadine Gordimer (1991)
- John Maxwell Coetzee (2003)
2. Dorothy and Lillian Gish Award
- Nigerian author, Chinua Achebe received the 2010 Dorothy and Lillian Gish Award.
3. Man Booker Prize
Three African writers have received the prestigious Man Booker Prize todate.
- Nadine Gordimer (South Africa) won the award in 1974 with her book, The Conservationist.
- J.M. Coetzee (South Africa) received the 1983 Booker Prize for his book, “Life and Times of Michael K”, as well as the 1999 Prize for another of his books, “Disgrace”
- Ben Okri was awarded the Booker Prize in 1991 for his book, “The Famished Road”
- Chinua Achebe (2007) received the Man Booker International Prize, a life-time achievement award.
4. Orange Prize for Fiction
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Nigeria) won the Orange Prize for Fiction in 2007 for her book, ” Half of a Yellow Sun”
- Zimbabwean author Irene Sabatini won the 2010 Orange Award for New Writers with her novel “The Boy Next Door.
5. Penguin Prize for African Writing
- The 2010 Penguin Prize for African Writing – Non Fiction Award went to Pius Adesanmi, for his entry, “You are not a country Africa.”
- Ellen Mulenga Banda-Aaku from Zambia won 2010 Penguin Prize for African Writing – Fiction Award, with her first novel, Patchwork.
6. Caine Prize for African Writing
- 2013: Miracle by Tope Folarin (Nigeria)
- 2012: Bombay’s Republic by Rotimi Babatunde (Nigeria)
- 2011: Hitting Budapest by NoViolet Bulawayo (Zimbabwe)
- 2010: Stickfighting Days by Olufemi Terry (Sierra Leone)
- 2009: Waiting by E. C. Osondu (Nigeria)
- 2008: Poison by Henrietta Rose-Innes (South Africa)
- 2007: Jambula Tree by Monica Arac de Nyeko (Uganda)
- 2006: Jungfrau by Mary Watson (South Africa)
- 2005: Monday Morning by S. A. Afolabi (Nigeria)
- 2004: Seventh Street Alchemy by Brian Chikwava (Zimbabwe)
- 2003: Weight of Whispers by Yvonne Adhiambo Owuor (Kenya)
- 2002: Discovering Home by Binyavanga Wainaina (Kenya)
- 2001: Love Poems by Helon Habila (Nigeria)
- 2000: The Museum by Leila Aboulela (Sudan)