THIS COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED: This month, we are excited to feature Aminatta Forna’s award-winning book, The Memory of Love, for our monthly book giveaway competition. A 2011 Commonwealth Writers’ Prize Winner and shortlisted for the 2011 Orange Prize for Fiction, The Memory of Love, has been hailed as a book of rare beauty and importance.
Set in contemporary Freetown (Sierra Leone), The Memory of Love takes us to a country devastated by war, where we meet Kai, a gifted young surgeon that works in the capital’s main hospital. Kai is plagued by demons and memories from the war that are beginning to threaten his livelihood. Elsewhere in the hospital lies Elias Cole, a man who has stories to tell from the country’s turbulent postcolonial years that are far from heroic. As past and present intersect, Kai and Elias are drawn unwittingly closer by Adrian, a British psychiatrist with good intentions, and into the path of one woman at the center of their stories.
About Aminatta Forna
Born in 1964 to a Sierra Leonean father and a Scottish mother, Aminatta Forna is the author of several books. Her first book, The Devil that Danced on the Water, was shortlisted for the Samuel Johnson Prize 2003. Her novel Ancestor Stones was winner of the 2008 Hurston/Wright Legacy Award, the Liberaturpreis in Germany, nominated for the International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award and selected by the Washington Post as one of the most important books of 2006. In 2007, Vanity Fair named Aminatta as one of Africa’s most promising new writers. Aminatta has also written for magazines and newspapers, radio and television, and presented television documentaries on Africa’s history and art. Her latest novel is The Hired Man (2013).
Enter our August 2013 giveaway competition for a chance to win your copy of The Memory of Love.
How to Enter the Competition (This competition is now closed)
Simply follow the instructions below. If you are not a registered Africa Book Club subscriber, you will need to join first. Then go ahead and answer the question below to enter.
- Which African writer has been longlisted for the 2013 Man Booker International Prize for Fiction?
Please email your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: August 2013 Book Giveaway
Tip: Answers to the questions can be found by browsing the Africa Book Club site.
Remember the Rules:
- This competition is open to all registered subscribers/members of the Africa Book Club anywhere in the world. Non-members can subscribe here to enter the competition.
- This giveaway competition expires Saturday, August 31, 2013 at midnight (EST).
- The winner will be drawn on (or shortly after) September 1, 2013 from all correct entries received before the closing date.
- The winner will be asked to provide a valid shipping address or an email address in case he or she prefers to receive the ebook edition.
- Africa Book Club will make a good-faith effort to ship books to anywhere in the world at standard international postal rates. Delivery times vary and may take up to five weeks for certain international destinations.
- Only one entry will be accepted per person registered as a subscriber/member of the Africa Book Club.
- The winner will be notified by email using the address through which he or she entered the competition.
- Only the winning entrant will be contacted by Africa Book Club. Our decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner’s name may be published on the Book Club site after the closing of the competition.
How We Select Our Winners
All entries are assigned a unique number, ranging from 1 to the highest number. Winners are then randomly selected using the sequence generator tool. For more about this tool, visit www.random.org.