THIS MONTH’S COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED: Enter our April 2015 book giveaway competition to win a copy of Achmat Dangor’s book internationally acclaimed novel, Bitter Fruit (first published in 2001 by Kwela Books).
A finalist for the Man Booker Prize and the IMPAC Dublin Literary Prize, Bitter Fruit is a clear-eyed, witty, boisterous, yet deeply serious look at South Africa’s political history and its damaging legacy in the lives of those who live there.
About the Novel…
The last time Silas Ali encountered Lieutenant Du Boise, Silas was locked in the back of a police van and the lieutenant was conducting a vicious assault on Silas’s wife, Lydia, in revenge for her husband’s participation in Nelson Mandela’s African National Congress. When Silas sees Du Boise by chance twenty years later, as the Truth and Reconciliation Commission is about to deliver its report, crimes from the past erupt into the present, splintering the Alis’ fragile peace. Meanwhile Silas and Lydia’s son, Mikey, a thoroughly contemporary young hip-hop lothario, contends in unforeseen ways with his parents’ pasts.
A harrowing story of a brittle family on the crossroads of history and a fearless skewering of the pieties of revolutionary movements, Bitter Fruit is a cautionary tale of how we do, or do not, address the past’s deepest wounds.
Praise for Bitter Fruit
“Achmat Dangor… has always delved beyond the surface of human relations, from the intimately personal to the societal and political. This took courage, risk to his own personal life, during the apartheid era. At the same time he did not compromise a dedication to high literary standards in the use of language… In the post-apartheid era, he has tackled, in Bitter Fruit, as in Kafka’s Curse, with the honesty of his insight, the problems as well as the promised fulfillment of the enormous change that freedom brings about.” — Nadine Gordimer.
“Dangor’s vivid prose, narrative fluency and facility for literary experiment make Bitter Fruit a considerable achievement.” — Daily Telegraph (London)
How to Enter the Competition
Enter our April 2015 giveaway competition for a chance to win your copy of Bitter Fruit (by Achmat Dangor). Simply follow the instructions below. If you are not a registered Africa Book Club subscriber, you will need to join first. Then, simply go ahead and answer the question below to enter.
- Which author wrote the book, Tropical Fish: Stories out of Entebbe?
- What prize did the book/author win in 2006?
Please email your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: April 2015 Book Giveaway
Tip: Answers to the questions can be found by browsing the Africa Book Club site.
Remember the Rules:
- This competition is open to all registered subscribers/members of the Africa Book Club anywhere in the world. Non-members can subscribe here to enter the competition.
- This giveaway competition expires Thursday, April 30, 2015 at midnight (EST).
- The winner will be drawn on (or shortly after) May 1, 2015 from all correct entries received before the closing date.
- The winner will be asked to provide a valid shipping address or an email address in case he or she prefers to receive the ebook edition.
- Africa Book Club will make a good-faith effort to ship books to anywhere in the world at standard international postal rates. Delivery times vary and may take up to five weeks for certain international destinations.
- Only one entry will be accepted per person registered as a subscriber/member of the Africa Book Club.
- The winner will be notified by email using the address through which he or she entered the competition.
- Only the winning entrant will be contacted by Africa Book Club. Our decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner’s name may be published on the Book Club site after the closing of the competition.
How We Select Our Winners
All entries are assigned a unique number, ranging from 1 to the highest number. Winners are then randomly selected using the sequence generator tool. For more about this tool, visit www.random.org.