Released in January 2011 by Random House, Open City was picked by the New York Times as one of its 2011 Notable Books of the Year, and has been named a best book on more than twenty end of the year lists, including The New Yorker, The Economist, The Boston Globe, and Los Angeles Times.
Julius, the man at the center of this story, is a young Nigerian doctor doing his residency in New York. He has recently broken up with his girl friend, and to fill the void, he wanders aimlessly along the streets of New York. His walks give him the opportunity to reflect on his relationships, his past, his present.
Using up what is left of his vacation time, Julius leaves New York, heading out to Europe, and then on to Nigeria, before returning to New York. Throughout his travels, he encounters many people, and makes new friends.
How to Enter (Editor’s Note: This contest is now closed).
Win a copy of Open City by entering our February giveaway competition. If you are not a registered Africa Book Club subscriber, you will need to join first. Then, simply go ahead and answer the questions below to enter.
- Name the author and title of the book that won the 1991 Booker Prize for Fiction.
- In what year was Chinua Achebe born?
Please email your answers to: email@example.com with the subject: February 2012 Book Giveaway
Tip: Answers to the questions can be found by browsing the Africa Book Club site.
Remember the Rules:
- This competition is open to all registered subscribers/members of the Africa Book Club anywhere in the world. Non-members can subscribe here to enter the competition.
- This giveaway competition expires Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at midnight (EST).
- The winner will be drawn on March 1, 2012 from all correct entries received before the closing date.
- The winner will be asked to provide a valid shipping address or an email address in case he or she prefers to receive the ebook edition.
- Africa Book Club will make a good-faith effort to ship books to anywhere in the world at standard international postal rates. Delivery times vary and may take up to five weeks for certain international destinations.
- Only one entry will be accepted per person registered as a subscriber/member of the Africa Book Club.
- The winner will be notified by email using the address through which he or she entered the competition.
- Only the winning entrant will be contacted by Africa Book Club. Our decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner’s name may be published on the Book Club site after the closing of the competition.
Editor’s Note: This contest is now closed. Thank you to all who took part in this giveaway. Congratulations to our winners, Kinna Likimani and Geoffrey Tindyebwa.
How We Select the Winners
All entries are assigned a unique number, ranging from 1 to the highest number. Winners are then randomly selected using the sequence generator tool. For more about this tool, visit www.random.org.