Africa Book Club is pleased to announce the winners of our 2018 Africa Book Club Short Story Competition.
Kenyan author and journalist, Alphonce Shiundu is this year’s winner with story, Wrong Patient. Chinyere Nnaemeka from Nigeria took the second prize with her story, The Defeat of Jezebel, while Andrew C. Dakalira from Malawi was awarded third prize for his story, Flycatcher. In addition, 30 other stories (see list below) were selected as finalists, and will be included in an upcoming short story compilation to be published later this year.
This year’s competition attracted over 500 entries covering a vast range of themes – from domestic violence, infidelity, and love to corruption, greed, and politics.
- 1st Prize Winner ($250) – Alphonce Shiundu (Wrong Patient) – KENYA
- 2nd Prize Winner ($150) – Chinyere Nnaemeka (The Defeat of Jezebel) – NIGERIA
- 3rd Prize Winner ($100) – Andrew C. Dakalira (Flycatcher) – MALAWI
- Kevin Mutinda (Mama Furaha) – KENYA
- Sibonginkosi (The Baby’s Mother) – ZIMBABWE
- Chiamaka Omireh (Understanding Grandma) – NIGERIA
- Hussani Abdulrahim (Danuwa) – NIGERIA
- Jennifer Eneanya (They Call Me Zombie) – NIGERIA
- Lucky James (Of Sand and Gold) – NIGERIA
- Desire Chikontha (Goodnight Thato) – MALAWI
- Laurie B. Owusu (Trotro Liberty)
- Edward Maroncha (Hollow Inside)
- Sharon Adongo (Achola the Good Wife) – KENYA
- Mojolaoluwa Olaifa (Surreal) – NIGERIA
- Simbarashe Steyn Kundizeza (A Way Out) – ZIMBABWE
- Kingsley Alumona (Buli Hill) – NIGERIA
- Ifeanyichukwu Ekwegbalu (Tomatoes) – NIGERIA
- Nnamdi Atupulazi (Dim) – NIGERIA
- Olakunle Ologunro (Marriage na Submission) – NIGERIA
- Khadija Sanusi (The Farewell) – NIGERIA
- Alphonce Shiundu (Honorable Betrayal) – KENYA
- Ngumi Kibera (On Halcyon Days) – KENYA
- Nnamdi Oguike (I am Wearing a Win Red Smoking Jacket) – NIGERIA
- Mark Mngomezulu (The Tippler) – SWAZILAND
- Chinenyenwa Favour Chukwuma (Baby Maize) – NIGERIA
- Muthoni wa Gichuru (In the Name of the Father) – KENYA
- Matthew Wasambo (Your People) – KENYA
- Keletso Mopai (Madness) – SOUTH AFRICA
- Thokozani Magagula (The Story Mkhulu Never Told Me) – SOUTH AFRICA
- Jan Moran Neil (Miranda and her Madam) – UNITED KINGDOM
- Diana Makulu (Mwalimu’s First Love) – KENYA
- Katiso Thatho (Supermom) – LESOTHO
- Daphne Kiplagat (My Lover Lives) – KENYA
About the Africa Book Club Short Story Competition
The Africa Book Club Short Story Competition features short stories drawn from contributors across the African continent. We accept unpublished fiction and creative non-fiction submissions, not exceeding 3,500 words, and whose setting and context are primarily set in Africa, or written by African authors.
We welcome entries that celebrate Africa’s diversity and rich story telling traditions – anything from fiction and non-fiction stories that reflect life on the continent to childhood memoirs and travel stories. For more about the competition, including eligibility criteria, prizes and entry process, click here.