For the month of June, we will be giving away a copy of The Granta Book of the African Short Story to two lucky readers. Published in May 2012, and edited by Nigerian author, Helon Habila, this special short story collection introduces a group of African writers described by Habila as ‘the post-nationalist generation’. Presenting a diverse and dazzling collection from all over the continent – from Morocco to Zimbabwe, Uganda to Kenya – Habila has focused on younger, newer writers, contrasted with some of their older, more established peers, to give a fascinating picture of a new and more liberated Africa.
Disdaining the narrowly nationalist and political preoccupations of previous generations, these writers are characterized by their engagement with the wider world and the opportunities offered by the internet, the end of apartheid, the end of civil wars and dictatorships, and the possibilities of free movement around the world. Many of them live outside Africa. Their work is inspired by travel and exile. They are liberated, global and expansive. As Dambudzo Marechera wrote: ‘If you’re a writer for a specific nation or specific race, then f*** you.” These are the stories of a new Africa, punchy, self-confident and defiant.
The collection includes stories by Rachida el-Charni, Henrietta Rose-Innes, George Makana Clark, Ivan Vladislavic, Mansoura Ez-Eldin, Fatou Diome, Aminatta Forna, Manuel Rui, Patrice Nganang, Leila Aboulela, Zoe Wicomb, Alaa Al Aswany, Doreen Baingana, and E.C. Osondu.
Read Friederike Knabe’s excellent review of this short story collection.
How to Enter (Editor’s Note: This contest is now closed)
Win a copy of The Granta Book of the African Short Story by entering our June giveaway competition. If you are not a registered Africa Book Club subscriber, you will need to join first. Then, simply go ahead and answer the questions below to enter.
- In what country was the author, Aminatta Forna born?
- Which author wrote the book – Say You’re One of the Them?
Please email your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: June 2012 Book Giveaway
Tip: Answers to the questions can be found by browsing the Africa Book Club site.
Remember the Rules:
- This competition is open to all registered subscribers/members of the Africa Book Club anywhere in the world. Non-members can subscribe here to enter the competition.
- This giveaway competition expires Saturday, June 30, 2012 at midnight (EST).
- The winner will be drawn on July 1, 2012 from all correct entries received before the closing date.
- The winner will be asked to provide a valid shipping address or an email address in case he or she prefers to receive the ebook edition.
- Africa Book Club will make a good-faith effort to ship books to anywhere in the world at standard international postal rates. Delivery times vary and may take up to five weeks for certain international destinations.
- Only one entry will be accepted per person registered as a subscriber/member of the Africa Book Club.
- The winner will be notified by email using the address through which he or she entered the competition.
- Only the winning entrant will be contacted by Africa Book Club. Our decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner’s name may be published on the Book Club site after the closing of the competition.
Editor’s Note: This contest is now closed. Thank you to all who took part in this giveaway.
How We Select the Winners
All entries are assigned a unique number, ranging from 1 to the highest number. Winners are then randomly selected using the sequence generator tool. For more about this tool, visit www.random.org.